Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive



Big Bang's 4th Mini Album 'Tonight'
Release Date: 2011.02.24
Itunes - YesAsia


Tracklist:
01. Intro (Thank You & You)
02. Hands Up
03. Tonight
04. Somebody to Love
05. What is Right
06. Cafe









Fangirl:

So Big Bang asks, "I'm fine thank you and you?" Well, pretty damn good, thanks Big Bang. Let's start with the lead track, "Tonight" (the MV of which I am eagerly anticipating...).

This is the most coherent response I could muster up: When Big Bang does epic, this is what it sounds like. This song hits the highs, the lows and all the places in between. I cannot wait to see this song topping all of the charts, because I'm loving it.

"Hands Up" and "Somebody To Love" are Korean versions of the B-sides from two of their Japanese singles - Tell Me Goodbye and Beautiful Hangover, respectively. There were no significant changes so I find my reaction the same as when I first heard the Japanese versions. Hands Up is danceable enough, but it feels like a filler track. Somebody To Love remains one of my favorite Big Bang songs. Though I said there were no significant changes in the Korean versions of these songs, I was struck by the difference in TOP's parts. His style is changing, becoming more playful.

I'm just really digging "What Is Right". It's a pop song with some slight rock influence and a hefty dose of Big Bang swagga'. And any more guitar in K-pop in a good thing in my book.

"Thank You & You" is a good opener. I love the slight attitude that is hinted at in the song. Like it could be a polite, "We're fine, thank you. And you?" Or it could be a "Oh, we're fine, and don't you know it."

"Cafe" is a bit of surprise, and perhaps a mistep by Big Bang. With jazzy backing instrumentals, the song reminds me of GD & TOP's fantastic "Baby Goodnight". But unlike "Baby Goodnight", "Cafe" lacks that sexy musical smirk. So perhaps it reminds me more of GD & TOP's "어쩌란 말이냐?", that bizarre "rock" number and the only song on the album that I skip. On the plus side, Daesung sounds absolutely fantastic.

I think the biggest challenge for Big Bang is mixing five distinctly different styles into one co-hesive whole. They succeed beautifully in "Tonight", and maybe not so much in "Cafe".

It's not the earth-shattering epic album I was hoping for, but there's a chance I came into it with my expectations set a bit too high. Ahem.

I know you're not as big a Big Bang fan as I am, Fanboy. What did you think of the album?


Fanboy:

I always seem to go in with too high of expectations, and Big Bang is no different, because this was their triumphant comeback as the quintet. I assumed that they were going to come back with a "bang" (pun may or may not be intended...).

This album is a quick listen. It's not that long and is definitely worth a shot. So, I shall start with the "Intro (Thank You & You)". I personally find intros and preludes to be a total waste of time. It doesn't classify as a song, and there's not a whole lot of substance that makes me go, "Wow!" "Thank You & You" still did not change my opinion about them. Skip.

Track 2: "Hands Up" - I liked it. It is one of those feel-good dance songs. I feel like I hear 2NE1's "Can't Nobody" going on throughout the song, but I like this one more. It's one of my favorite tracks on this album even though I prefer the Japanese version more.

Track 3: "Tonight" - Ok, I didn't think it was as "epic" as Fangirl thought. I actually thought this one of the weaker songs on the album and definitely one of their weakest promotional songs. However, I do feel like it's one of those tracks that will grow on you, and I, too, can't wait for the MV release. I feel like it'll be neat. Las Vegas and Big Bang? Can't go wrong. They always seem to have some of the best MVs.

Track 4: "Somebody to Love" - Again, I prefer the Japanese version more, but I still liked this song. I don't really care for TOP in this song though. His vocals seem a tad deep and stick out like a sore thumb in this song. What I mean, he doesn't seem to mesh as well with the other four's vocals.

Track 5: "What is Right" - For some reason again, I feel a 2NE1-vibe again. I can't quite put my finger on it. Hmm... The song is not bad, and again, it will be one of those songs that will grow on me. Still not my favorite by them, but definitely worth a shot. I'd say it's one of those tier 3 Big Bang songs to me. Like, I'll listen to it every now and then if it shows up on my iTunes shuffle, but it's not something I'll go out of my way to go listen to.

Track 6: "Cafe" - Easily, my least favorite song on this album. I do always appreciate it when artists try out new genres and showcase a new side to their artistry. However, this song just did not work for them, in my opinion. I found the song to be a little strange and definitely not your typical Big Bang song.

Overall, I did actually like the album. I find this to be better as a whole compared to the Seungri and GD&TOP albums. BUT I do find the promotional singles "High High", "VVIP", and "What Can I Do" more appealing as singles. To me, I feel like "Tonight" is slightly lackluster when you compare it to their biggest hits like "Haru Haru" and "Last Farewell". But still check out the album.

Tell us what you thought of it. What's your favorite song?

(6) Comments

  1. ~JustinPerky~ On February 24, 2011 at 5:40 AM

    They're not really my favourite artists out there in k-pop but I really like their songs like "Haru Haru" "Lies" "Beautiful Hangover"...
    This album just didn't live up to my expectations.
    I was expecting it to be like super duper luper epic since other artists have to halt their own comeback just becacuse Big Bang is having a comeback.
    The only song that I liked in the album is "Hands Up"
    "Tonight" just don't sound like a title track :O
    But nonetheless, don't know what will they come up to with the music video. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

     
    MrCKDexter On February 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM

    Hey Justin, FANGIRL here again.

    I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the Big Bang album as much as you hoped. I was sort of hoping for that earth-shattering album, too.
    But I think the other artists postponed their own comebacks for good reason. Have you seen the "all-kill" news? Big Bang is dominating every single Korean chart, and doing pretty well on the foreign ones too. Anyone else promoting right now is in Big Bang's shadow.

     
    DareDB On February 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM

    I see that Justin agreed with me for the most of part. "Tonight" just doesn't sound like a title song to me either. The album, to be honest, didn't live up to my expectations either, but I still found some positives in it.

    I guess their comeback material was overly hyped. :(

     
    divalcious On March 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM

    Bear with me... I've sort of been on a Big Bang kick for the past month and 1/2:

    Gasp! I'm shocked right now! Lol... I'm totally kidding, since everyone's taste is different, of course.

    I've been listening to Big Bang's cd over and over since it came out and I have to say I love every song except What Is Right, which I find to be just ok.

    Cafe made me go out and buy the cd off Itunes as soon as it came out, actually. In my eyes, Cafe is just plain gorgeous. I even learned all the words to it (except TOP's part, of course... I'm not that crazy as to try to mimic that... lol) and listened to it 2903483 that same day. I love how they use falsetto, as well as how they incorporate all their styles/voices into one kick ass song. Daesung rocks this song out! I made sure to turn my Kpop loving friends onto Cafe and they're also loving it.

    My verdict: Waiting for them to release their next cd later this year. :excited:

     
    DareDB On March 24, 2011 at 12:30 AM

    Yeah, I'm excited for their new CD this year too. I ended up really liking "Tonight", by the way. It just took a while to grow on me. :)

     
    Anonymous On December 31, 2011 at 6:37 PM

    I actually LOVED all the songs on the album though... I am desperate for the release of the next Bigbang album. I really enjoy listening to Tonight,Somebody to Love and What is Right the most out of their album and the live performances, if you haven't watched it is actually quite impressive.

    Some people might think I have a "bad taste in music" but I think Bigbang did really good in this album. In fact, the best but I think songs like Haru Haru or 거짓말 were more catchy. But still, they are BIG idols in Korea and they won the Worldwide Act of the MTV EMAs in Belfast :)
    GOOOOOOO VIP :D

     

Post a Comment