Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Fangirl:

So "Prection" was...
Uh, I mean "Perfection". *cough*
"Perfection" (太完美) was just released by Super Junior M and here are my first thoughts on it.



Look at those dynamic shots! The spin they do at 0:58 is really effective and I love the low camera angle at 3:14. And check out the flo-mo at the 2 minute mark! LinzerDinzer must be right - SM must have bought all those cameras needed for flo-mo shots and now they're milking it for all it's worth.

As for the costumes... Get those dead rats away from Zhoumi's face! And I'd like to nix the shrunken nit vest thing they've got on Henry. Other than that, I'm not going to nitpick. I can hardly argue with sexy suits on sexy men. And may I just add that Kyunhyun is looking mighty fine this evening?

It's pretty, but pretty substance-less too. Overall, I like it.

Alright Fanboy, your turn!


Fanboy:

Well, first of all, I was seriously waiting on the edge of my seat for this MV to premiere. Now it has finally been unveiled and my eyes have been titillated by the HD-ness. I can now relax after my excitement has started to settle down.

This is a typical SM video to me. An MV that focuses on striking visuals and memorable choreography with a lack of storyline. Super Junior-M's attire is very odd to me. I can't figure out if they're supposed to be Russian or dudes from the 19th century. Except for Siwon, he totally looked like Austin Powers (minus the glasses). Either way, it's not my favorite costume from Super Junior. There's a whole lot of eye make-up going on this vid. Seems many idols are following the guyliner trend. *points finger at Kyuhyun*

I liked the choreography. Although, I wished Kyuhyun danced along with the 3 lead dancers, Eunhyuk, Henry, and Donghae. Ah well. Henry surprised me. He's stepping up his game this time by having more a role in the dancing and singing. Same goes for Siwon, there was a lot of more of him in the song. It was refreshing to hear a more balanced vocal set.

I was wondering why they had Chinese subtitles going across the MV, but I assume it's because most of the boys' Mandarin is so terrible that the natives need something to go along with the auto-tune.

Overall, I really liked it. I've watched it several times now. However, I really just wish SM would start creating more storyline-based MVs. I like dance videos too, but it would be nice for them to change it up every now and then.


Fangirl:

Imagining Super Junior as 19th century Russians now. HA.

Yeah, there seems to be a whole lot of guyliner overkill in this video. Actually, the one that stands out the most to me is Siwon. He really doesn't need all that gunk on his face.

Chinese subtitles are actually typical in Chinese music videos. It's my understanding is that since Chinese is a tonal language, a lot of meaning gets lost when you sing it. Thus, subtitles.

What did you think of the MV?

(6) Comments

  1. Anonymous On February 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

    as a fan girl: the boys look amazing *_* minus their wardrobe...but the choreo was amaaazing, nothing less than an SM group i think.
    its like a chinese version of a korean song. a bit hard to understand (and im chinese xP) but catchy none the less.

     
    ~JustinPerky~ On February 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM

    The song sucks in my opinion.
    The only part where it is nice is the rapping part XD And I know it's typical for Chinese music video to have subtitles but at least use an elegant or decorative font instead of those humongous white color subtitles.
    As a Chinese myself, their Chinese sucks. No idea what in the world are they singing about. Except for one of the guy which I have no idea what is his name XD
    Nonetheless, they look awesome -envies-

     
    DareDB On February 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

    Yeah, anonymous, I find it really catchy. For some reason, I don't typically care for Chinese music, but this one is really good to me. Although, I do think Hit-5 is decent.

    Sorry, you don't like it, Justin. I, myself, am not Chinese, so I have no idea what they're saying, but I still liked it. The English was fine. Props to Henry. The boy did well in both languages. (Except, he is American after all). Zhou Mi (red-haired dude) is Chinese, so you're probably thinking of him. Although, I've been told that Kyuhyun's accent was good too. I'm glad because he's the best member, in my opinion.

     
    sundaetu On February 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM

    To Fanboy:

    For your information, the Chinese may not speak the same Chinese (as there are many kinds of Chinese such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Tokin,....) but the Chinese may read the same Chinese words (although there are two kinds of Chinese words: simplified and traditional, but everyone knows Chinese may be able to read both). Hence, for the promotion purpose, as other Chinese MV of other real Chinese-origin singers, they include the Chinese words in the MV, as you may seen from this MV, it is traditional Chinese. I think you should watch more Chinese MVs, although it is Jay Chou or Jackie Chan, they still have Chinese words inside the MV. Similarly, the Korean words are put into the broadcasted videos or Japanese words also run in the widescreen at DBSK's concert in Japan.

    I really really like Super Junior with all of their work hard to sing in different languages.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

     
    DareDB On February 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM

    Thank you for your thoughts, sundaetu. Now that I think about it more, I realize why there are Chinese subtitles. I sincerely hope I didn't offend you. I really appreciate it that you taught me something.

    I agree, Super Junior has been working hard, and it really shows. Best of luck to them with their new album.

     
    Anonymous On February 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM

    The most annoying part to me was the obnoxious subtitles. MVs in Chinese DO always have subtitles, but they aren't usually in extra-large font :/ They're meant to be informative, not intrusive.

    Thankfully SM has uploaded a new version that fixed a few random simplified characters that were in there among the traditional and shrank the font size.

    Allegedly they're going for a 'mysterious' feel in their makeup and style, and that's what the eye makeup is supposed to exude...although I just think half of them look like vampires in some of the shots. They really don't NEED to have that kind of makeup, but it's only meant for the music video anyway. They're not going to be wearing the dead animal hats and vampire look for promotions (or so I hope). Hats aside, Kyuhyun, Zhou Mi and Sungmin look the best to me.

    I like the bright set, but not the gray one. It reminds me too much of the "men-in-a-box" look from Bonamana. I actually rather like the choreo; it's more focused on hand movements than footwork, which I personally prefer. Like Fanboy, I too would like to see some story to the MV, but SJ has never done MVs with plots (SJ-M's last song "Super Girl" being the exception), so I'm not surprised that it doesn't have one.

     

Post a Comment