Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Fanboy:

Currently one of our favorite rookie groups, Infinite recently released their comeback music video for their single album Inspirit.



After watching this video, I have realized that the Infinite boys are no one-trick-pony. I personally think they're some of the best dancers out there right now and without a doubt, one of the best rookies in this competitive K-Pop market.

For this MV, the boys toned down their intricate dance moves to suit a more pleasant song. Kind of like what Super Junior did for "No Other" after their aggressive "Bonamana" choreography. Despite the light dance moves, Infinite still brought it. These boys are almost always in-sync (Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've seen them not in-sync). The music video did remind me of Super Junior's "It's You" (one of my favorite music videos) and how it was shot in one take. I very much enjoyed the direction of this video. It's unfortunate that they made member Sungyeol pretty much emo here, and giving him no singing parts to add salt to wounds. He got more face-time, I guess.

There was one part that really bothered me though. At 1:30 in the MV, rapper Dongwoo rapped, "I think about you all day long..." as he was looking at and grabbing Sungyeol. Hmm... let's just say that if this MV was released in America, Americans would get the wrong impression of the boys. Since I'm sort of used to seeing these sort of things in K-Pop, I've realized that this is a part of their culture. Sadly, not everyone understands that, so the trolls have expressed their thoughts on the YouTube video's comments. Sigh.

All in all, I enjoyed this MV. I very much respect Infinite and will continue to support them with the hope that they continue to rise in popularity. They deserve more attention than what they're currently getting. This music video is miles better than what else is out there in K-Pop. Easily one of the standouts in 2011. Props to Infinite!


Fangirl:

I really enjoyed this music video. It manages to be adorable but not cloying. The video also has an interesting homemade, artsy style that is almost unheard-of in K-pop. The walls of toilet paper rolls, corridors of white boxes, and the signs of cardboard and tape lend the MV a creative, child-like flair. If you watch closely, you'll see the first half of the video isn't actually one take, and in fact some of the cuts are quite jarring. This bothered me at first, but then I began to appreciate it for the weird, hallucinatory quality it adds to the video.

I have no idea what's going on in that final scene of the five remaining boys in the parking lot, but I love it. I wonder how planned out it was? It feels surprisingly authentic and spontaneous. And adorable.

Infinite is looking more and more like the next big thing to me. With their colorful SHINee pants and their fluffy mops of hair, I can see the noona fans falling for these guys like dominoes (maybe like bed dominoes?). They really are incredibly synchronized dancers - to the point where I wonder if their choreographer gets out a meter stick whenever they have dance practice. ("No Hoya, you have to lift your foot 5 cm higher!")

And speaking of wrong impressions, did anyone notice that tushy grab at 1:47? Yeah, I really don't have anything coherent to say about that, I just wanted to point it out.

Anyway! Yes, it's Infinite "Nothing's Over", nifty music video, watch it and then tell us -

What did you think of the music video?

(3) Comments

  1. kaorupanda On March 18, 2011 at 5:21 PM

    Translation of the end of the MV:
    Woohyun: "He's really going?"
    Sunggyu: "Sungyeol-ah!"
    Woohyun: "Where are you going? Let's go together!" (we'd say "wait for me" in English)

    So, I've examined the lyrics translation, and here is how I interpret the story: Sungyeol has broken up with his girlfriend and thinks it's all over. The other guys think he still has a chance to get her back and shouldn't give up yet, and are trying to convince him so.

    The lyrics are an expression of Sungyeol's emotions (or possibly what the others think his emotions are). They talk about not being able to let go yet, struggling with the breakup and remembering when they first met. Hence, "I think about you all day long" is really Sungyeol talking to his ex, Dongwoo is simply saying it for him. It WAS kind of weird for him to be rapping it to Sungyeol though. Easily misinterpreted.

    I'm still trying to figure out whether the butt grab is just a result of the camera angle or what...but watch SJ-M Henry's talk from Strong Heart, guys just do that in Korea. (I see athletes slap each other butts too in the US...)

    I like the way the MV was shot. They cleverly changed the setting in ways you wouldn't expect. Plus, this has got to be the BEST USE of toilet paper and cardboard boxes I've ever seen. Secret "reduce, reuse, recycle" message, anyone? The colors are not actually bright, they use a lot of natural lighting and dark sets. People have been calling it "cute", but honestly it may be CHEERY, but not CUTESY. The guys aren't trying to be cute, they're just trying to cheer up their friend.

    This song has been doing better than "BTD" did on the charts, and though it's only been 2 days, I'm hoping that it will ultimately prove to be more successful. They gained some more attention since their last comeback, and I think it's fair to say in the near future they'll be winning some awards!

     
    Raymund On March 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM

    It is also noteworthy how Woollim Entertainment produces the songs of Infinite. I am very much impressed that they use live musicians to create the music - the horns section, piano, acoustic and bass guitar.

    If one listens closely in "Nothing's Over", there is a beautiful acoustic guitar solo during the second verse on the solo parts of Sunggyu and Woohyun. This is repeated during the rap part of Hoya, along with a nice bass line.

    "Hysterie" has a very nice bass line and horns section, too.

    I think this is what sets Woollim/Infinite apart - the use of live musicians and live instruments, giving the songs a more natural feel. And I really love it.

     
    MrCKDexter On March 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM

    Totally with you there, Raymund. That's one of the reasons "Come Back Again" was one of my favorite songs from last year. I actually hadn't noticed some of the features you mentioned in "Nothing's Over" so I listened to it again, and now I'm loving the song even more! The one thing I don't like is the key change around 2:37. It feels excessive.

    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that "tushy grab" wasn't a result of the camera angle. I understand that in Korea this is just a friendly gesture, but it still looks so awkward to me, haha.

     

Post a Comment